So…Jackfruit. Ever heard of it? This fruit is a vegan GAME CHANGER. The possibilities are literally endless and the taste and texture will make you side-eye meat for the rest of your life. After you cook with it, you’ll realize (if you haven’t already) that meat is utterly obsolete.
Trust me 😎
Do you miss shredded chicken? Pulled pork? Fish tacos? No matter what meat you’re Jonesing for, there’s a jackfruit for that. Easy vegan jackfruit quesadilla recipe after the jump.
This particular post is a jackfruit quesadilla recipe. This was my first time seasoning my own jackfruit. I’ve previously purchased pre-seasoned jackfruit from The Jackfruit Brand which is available at most grocery stores where vegan selections are available. I purchased two cans of green jackfruit from Trader Joe’s and IIRC, they were each less than $3. I bought them in Monterey, CA while visiting family but I haven’t yet seen them here in LA so I don’t know how easy they are to find at TJ’s. However, you should be able to buy them at your local asian market or on Amazon. The jackfruit that I purchased was packaged in brine, but there are also canned versions in water or syrup. The brine version worked fine for me and I will probably purchase that version for all my future recipes.
Here’s a pic:
Oh! I should also show what it looks like in it’s natural state:
Apparently in it’s natural state it tastes a bit like Juicyfruit. I can’t attest to that but I hope to try it raw one day.
Now that you’re officially briefed on the wonders of jackfruit (yay!), we can get into the recipe.
Easy Vegan Jackfruit Quesadilla Recipe
- 2 cans green jackfruit (purchased from Trader Joe's)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 package regular size whole wheat tortillas (made 4 quesadillas)
- 1 bag Daiya mozzarella shredded cheese (can be purchased at Whole Foods)
- 1 bag Daiya pepperjack shredded cheese (can be purchased at Whole Foods)
- 1 1/4 slices Field Roast tomato cayenne pepper cheese (can be purchased at Whole Foods)
- 1 red bell pepper (optional)
The jackfruit will come in big, cube-like pieces, you'll have to cut or tear off the hard pieces and then you can pull all of the pieces apart. Be sure to remove the seeds and any shells. The finished product should look similar to shredded chicken.
2. Sautee olive oil and garlic in a skillet. Add jackfruit to pan (be sure to squeeze out excess brine) on med-low heat and add in salt, crushed pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. Stir semi-frequently to prevent sticking. Stir in about 1/4 cup brine. Simmer. Add in 1 tbsp of liquid smoke. Add more brine if desired and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
3. Add 1/2 tbsp butter to skillet, melt, and add tortilla on medium heat. Cover tortilla with vegan shredded cheese (I recommend Daiya) and about 1 slice of the Field Roast cheese. I tore the slice into pieces and placed them around the sides and the middle. Add more or less cheese if desired. Add cooked jackfruit. Cook until cheese is melted and to desired crispiness. Add bell peppers (uncooked) if desired. You could also add mushrooms if you like. I made 4 quesadillas (2 with bell pepper and 2 without) and I used both bags of cheese but had plenty of sliced cheese leftover.
4. Serve with Spanish Rice (veganized), pico de gallo, mini sweet peppers, and guacamole.
I promise these jackfruit quesadillas would pass even the pickiest meat-eater’s standards. Can’t wait to try jackfruit in some other ‘meaty’ dishes. Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments below and be sure to mention if you added anything cool to it. Enjoy!
Learn how to make easy vegan jackfruit quesadillas here: